Warning: Don’t follow your heart
Jesus said, “Out the heart come evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, slanders.” (Matthew 15:19)
The heart is composed of your identity, center & headquarters. The identity means this is the real you and truly who you are. The Bible teaches us, “As a person thinks in his heart, so is he” (Proverbs 23:7). The center simply means your core being; which includes your motives, thoughts, and belief system. The headquarters means it’s the place where you store up hurt, pain, joy, happiness & sorrow.
We can’t follow after our heart because we will chase after the wrong things. Following the heart means you will chase after what feels good in the moment.
Here are 9 things you don’t know about the heart:
1. Your heart is a valuable jewel and you must treat it as such. Don’t allow your heart to be filled with things that are not of God.
2. Christ must be the crown of your heart.
3. The heart makes up words, actions, and your thoughts. What you truly are and feel will flow through your heart; good or bad.
4. When your heart is not right, it has an impact on everything you do. This includes your relationships, family, career and friends.
5. The Bible teaches us we can’t trust our hearts. “The heart is deceitful who can trust it?” Jeremiah 17:9
6. Satan will always attempt to attack your heart, thus you must guard it. Guard doesn’t mean being rude, closed off, or excessively guarded with people. It means you live with purpose and develop your heart to be a reflection of Christ.
7. The heart is selfish.
8. The heart is sinful.
9. If we don’t allow God to change our heart we will always chase after the wrong things.
Do you understand the importance of not following your heart? Don’t follow your heart. Lead your heart.